Friday, July 8, 2011

Reflections!

I guess I'm starting this a bit after the fact, but it's taken me a while to process this past year. I am the mother of two colleges age children, a girl almost 21, and my son who will turn 19 shortly. My oldest left for Boston 3 years ago and although she has returned home for vacations and partial summers has chosen to use her summers to travel and or gain valuable work experience in her field of graphic design by accepting coop positions in Boston. It was a transition but we speak or text pretty much daily and when she does return home it is a pleasure to spend time with this articulate, young woman who has grown up before our eyes. Although her absence those first two years certainly left a gap in our family, life had a way of moving on. Our days were spent working on our own careers, going to our son's high school football games as well as a variety of other activities that kept us busy. Then our son's junior year came along, the process of college searches, and visitations was somewhat easier the second time around, however I had a constant nagging feeling that I couldn't put my finger on. Those last few months of high school were busy between AP exams, senior slump, awards ceremonies and college prep. before we knew it June was here and graduation was upon us! Then came college orientation and I found myself tearing up at the silliest things. my son on the other hand was going to make the most of his summer- between working, spending time with friends, and sleep I felt as if we barely saw each other. Why couldn't he have become disagreeable, like his sister, before leaving. I always felt as if that tense period occurred in order to make it easier for parents to send their children off. Then late August the mad rush of college preparation started. Unlike my daughter who shopped for the perfect bedding, coordinated assecssories with her roommate, my son was a one day trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond in which we purchased everything he could possibly need. The biggest decision was would he and his roommate share a refridg/microwave combo! It was all too easy. But as Labor day weekend approached I found that heavy feeling inside to be growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment